Meet the Founder
TURNING MY PASSION INTO REALITYThe truth behind the ingredients of what we apply to our skin has always been an interest to me, so I started on a journey that led me to founding Doubtless Bay Botanicals.
Now more than ever we are bombarded with products, ‘hacks’ and treatments for our skin that it can be overwhelming to know where to start.
For me the starting point was easy – a natural, plant-based range free from harsh chemicals that would mirror the beauty of my daily surroundings in Doubtless Bay, Northland.
My passion for skin & body products started with my own consumption journey and what I knew to be good for my skin versus what wasn’t. With a background of knowledge and training in retail pharmacy and herbal, homeopathy and nutritional supplements I knew it was essential to provide natural home & beauty products to others so they could make a safe, guilt-free purchase.
Amidst a saturated market, the task at hand of convincing people why Doubtless Bay Botanicals had something different to offer was not an easy one. I spent two years trialling ingredients, formulas and packaging to ensure time was taken in creating high-quality, vegan & niche products that I was truly passionate about and believed in.
“I tuned into my daily environment, interweaving elements from all around me in order to tell the story of ‘barefoot luxury’ through my products.”
This means that many of the ingredients used pay homage to what thrives in abundance in Northland, such as olive and avocado oil.
Every ingredient I incorporate has a purpose or benefit. This runs true for all of the products, right down to the scents chosen. For example, I feel coconut and lime really embodies the beachy feel, I wanted people to be able to have a piece of Doubtless Bay in their homes no matter where they are.
Things have grown really quickly since our launch in 2020 which told me that there were people who were on the hunt for something locally made, vegan-friendly & cruelty free to make them feel comfortable in their skin & their home.
My connection with Doubtless Bay is a special one, as my great, great-grandmother was the only sister of the Butler family from Butler’s Point in Hihi. Now, I live directly opposite where my great grandfather, Arthur Butler, was raised as a child, after being born on the ship on the way from England to New Zealand. I can see where my ancestors were laid to rest on a family cemetery on the point across the way from me. Knowing that my ancestors were a founding part of Mangonui, I feel a connection to be providing a product that encapsulates the beauty of where so many of us call home.
Between juggling the many roles of a business owner, I recently married my high school sweetheart and we reside in this paradise that is Mangonui. Between us, we have six children and two grandchildren. Being flexible with my time is one of the most rewarding benefits of running my own business, allowing more time for connecting with special people in my life, reading & the idyllic long walks on the beach, of course.
Owning a business is a real balancing act when you’re the accountant, the labourer, the designer, the marketer, the head of sales and customer service and so much more, however, that doesn’t hinder you when you have a real passion for what you do.
“Owning a business is a real balancing act... however, that doesn’t hinder you when you have a real passion for what you do.”
Plus, having an endless suply of your own products that you know & love is always a bonus. It’s like picking a favourite child when choosing my favourite products – but here’s a few things that I’m really loving at the moment:
- Body Oil ($39.90) – This is a must-have product for all seasons. With Summer incoming, I find it perfect to pop on after a shower when I’ve spent all day at the beach, in & out of the salt water. It’s very nourishing and gentle on the skin, high in antioxidants and enriched with Hibiscus Flower Extract, it’s the perfect addition to your body care.
- Coconut and Lime Soy Candle ($34.95) – As much as I love all of my candle flavours, this one has a special place in my heart. It was one of the first scents I developed and reminds me of the sunniest days in Northland, perfect for Summer evenings with a cold beverage while watching the sun go down.
- Grapefruit and Pink Clay Cleansing Bar ($16.00) – This is a soothing & delicious bar that can be used on both the face and body. It’s ideal for gifting and I always have one for back up in my bathroom!
- Vegan Lip Balm ($16.00) – I’ve tried numerous lip balms over the years and I know how much of an essential item it is for the handbag or the car. Creating a lip balm that was comfortable, refreshing and effective whilst still being plant-based & vegan friendly was a must.
- Honeysuckle Soy Candle ($34.95) – I had to include another candle in this list because they really are aromatic. Honeysuckle is one of my most recent candle releases and has been a fave for my friends and family too, so it makes gifting veeeery easy!